Today is the cover reveal and table of contents announcement for Air: Sylphs, Spirits, & Swan Maidens! I’m super excited about this one! This marks my fifth sale to one of Rhonda Parrish’s anthologies!
There’s a lot of new-to-me names in this one, so I’m excited to check out all the stories.
Whimsical, Inquisitive, Quick-Witted
Air is essential for life. The need for air is so important that breathing is instinctual. Yet Air is unstable and capricious, blowing gently as a summer breeze in one moment and blasting with the fury of a tornado in the next. No wonder that tricksters, fairies, and spirits belong to Air just as much as winged creatures. Elusive and ethereal, Air’s denizens are difficult to find and harder to capture.
Brave the ever-changing world of Air with these twenty-one stories and poems, featuring: Rose Strickman; Davian Aw; Mark Bruce; Alexandra Seidel; Damascus Mincemeyer; Cherry Potts; Ellen Huang; Giselle Leeb; Bronwynn Erskine; Kevin Cockle; Elizabeth R. McClellan; Chadwick Ginther; Christa Hogan; Rowena McGowan; Laura VanArendonk Baugh; Alyson Faye; Mara Malins; Sara C. Walker; Elise Forier Edie; Oliver Smith; and Sarah Van Goethem.
Table of Contents:
- The Snow Wife by Rose Strickman
- Into Thick Air by Davian Aw
- Faery Dust by Mark Bruce
- Of White Cranes and Blue Stars by Alexandra Seidel
- Dead Man’s Hustle by Damascus Mincemeyer
- Final Flight by Cherry Potts
- The Ravens, Before Returning by Ellen Huang
- Their Disappearing Edges by Giselle Leeb
- Swanmaid by Bronwynn Erskine
- The Whippoorwill by Kevin Cockle
- Nephele, On Friday by Elizabeth R. McClellan
- Golden Goose by Chadwick Ginther
- The House with a Pond with a Girl In It by Christa Hogan
- Research Log ~~33 by Rowena McGowan
- Eiyri by Laura VanArendonk Baugh
- Raven Girl by Alyson Faye
- Time to Fold by Mara Malins
- We All Fall Down by Sara C. Walker
- The Sky Thief by Elise Forier Edie
- Late Tuesday by Oliver Smith
- Wind Song by Sarah Van Goethem
The cover artist, as with all of the covers in Rhonda’s Elemental series, is Ashley Walters, who knocked it out of the park again.
My story, “Golden Goose,” is a Thunder Road ‘verse story featuring Ted and Loki. It’s not the first Thunder Road story I’ve sold, or the first one to feature Loki, but it is the first story featuring the trilogy’s protagonist, Ted Callan, that wasn’t self-published (nothing wrong with self-publishing, and I’m proud of those stories, but I’ve just always found Ted a tough nut to crack in short story length). This one was a lot of fun to write, and I hope you’ll enjoy reading it.
In addition to being my fifth story sale to Rhonda Parrish, “Golden Goose” is my third entry her Elemental anthology series! “Midnight Man versus Frankie Flame” appeared in Fire: Demons, Dragons, & Djinns, and “The Enforcer” appeared in Earth: Giants, Golems, & Gargoyles. And damn right, I’ve already started thinking about my story for when Water’s open call drops!